After daily use of gymnastics mats, It usually becomes dirty and we all know that no one wants to practice in a dirty gymnastics mat. So cleaning of Gymnastics mats is as much important as its maintenance. A clean mat will look good, give you confidence and also help in preventing diseases and accidents.
Most of Gymnastics mats are made from foam insert which are normally covered with some type of vinyl or plastic coating. While many gymnastics mats are of color blue as it looks good and will take time to show when it becmes dirty. But keep in mind kids practice on it and many people regularly use it. So their sweat and many bacteria from their body is passed to mat. So next time your kid practice on it, there is very high chance that they can catch some diseases due to it. So Unhygienic and unwashed Mat is a very dangerous health hazard and to avoid it we should clean it regularly. Some of the common diseases which are caused due to dirty gymnastics mats are foot fungus, E coli infection etc. These bacteria causes serious illness and allergies.
Why You Should Clean your Gymnastics Mats Regularly
There is one popular saying “Health is Wealth” . Health is the most important aspect for any athletes who wants to succeeded in their field. A uncleaned gymnastics mat is the home of millions of bacteria and fungi. They can cause allergies, athlete’s foot, skin infection, cholera, ringworm, plantar warts and many transmittable diseases. As the Mats are used by many people, So it is also important that you should clean yourself properly before using the mat as it reduces the possibility of spreading any bacteria to mats and increases the longevity of the mat. Also cleaning of Mat is is very important for the same reason.
Steps for Cleaning Gymnastics Mats
There are mainly two types of gymnastics mats are available in the market today. First one is Interlocking mat and second one is one piece mat. We will look at the techniques of how to clean the gymnastics mats for both of these types.
Steps to clean Interlocking Gymnastics Mats :
- Step 1 : Remove each part at a time.
- Step 2 : Now shake each part and each tile to remove the dust and dirt stuck inside the mat.
- Step 3 : Please keep each tile on a flat surface. This will prevent any deformation of gymnastics mats.
- Step 4 : Take a soap and create a mild water soap solution using it.
- Step 5 : Now dip sponge or the mop in the water soap solution.
- Step 6 : use this sponge or mop to clean each tile. Please scrub whole surface of tile and do not leave any surface uncleaned.
- Step 7 : Do the same process for other surface as well.
- Step 8 :Now take a water hose and rinse the mat completely.
- Step 9 : Now take the Mat outside and Let it Dry.
For One Piece Gymnastics Mats Cleaning Steps are :
- Step 1 : Take the Mat and vacuum it properly to suck all the dirt and dust.
- Step 2 : Now take the mat outside and prepare a soap solution.
- Step 3 : For preparing soap solution, take 1/4 vinegar and 3/4 water and mix them.
- Step 4 : Use this solution to clean the entire mat using sponge or mop.
- Step 4 : Take Lysol and spray it thoroughly on whole mat to sanitize it for removing germs.
- Step 5 : Take the mat outside and let it dry.
So this is the whole process of cleaning the gymnastics mat properly and easily.Please drop a comment if you want to inquire about anything.